TEX-MEX FILET MIGNON
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 3 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 medium Onion, sliced
- 2 or 3 Mexican Peppers, or 1 small can Mild Mexican chile peppers, sliced thin
- 4 ounces Montery Jack Cheese, about 1 cup
- 6 ounces Cheddar Cheese, about 1-1/2 cups
- 8 Filet Mignon Steaks, about 1-1/2 inches thick
- Preheat the grill. Brush the grill rack with olive oil
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the onion and peppers and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until the onions are tender.
- Stir in the Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheeses, cover and remove from heat.
- Place the filets flat on a work surface. Holding a knife parallel to the surface, cut a crosswise slice through the meat to 1 inch from the sides.
- Open the steak like a book and pound the sides with a flat mallet.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Evenly divide the cheese and pepper mixture onto one side of each of the steaks.
- Fold the other side over the filling and press along the edge to seal.
- Grill the filets, turning once, for 6 minutes for medium-rare doneness.
- Serve with the salsa spooned over the steaks.