TOM LEONARD’S IRISH COLCANNON SOUP
Colcannon is a Gaelic dish made of boiled cabbage and potatoes. This holiday dish is so popular in Ireland that poems and songs have been written in its honor.
- 4 medium Idaho Potatoes, diced
- 4 cups Cabbage, coarsely Chopped
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1 medium Onion, diced
- 2 ribs Celery, diced
- 1/2 tbsp. Garlic, minced
- 1/2 tbsp. Parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup Half & Half
- 1/4 tsp. Dill, chopped
- 1 tbsp. Chives, chopped
- Pinch Nutmeg
- Salt & Pepper, to Taste
- In a stockpot, simmer chicken broth and potatoes until tender.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in cabbage, onions, celery, garlic and parsley.
- Cook until vegetables are tender then add to stockpot and bring to a simmer.
- Put half of the soup into a blender. Pulse until smooth then return to pot.
- Add all remaining ingredients.
- Return to a simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
- Garnish with additional chopped chives and a dill sprig.