TOM LEONARD’S AWARD-WINNING CHICKEN CHILI
Tom recommends serving our Chicken Chili with a loaf of crusty sourdough bread from Bethy’s Bakery, which is made using a bread starter that was first developed by his sister Beth in 1987.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 pounds ground chicken, preferably thigh meat
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon light chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chipotle paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup Stew Leonard’s Organic Chicken Broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) small white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1.5 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen and thawed
- ¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro
- In a stockpot, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and bell pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken and cook well, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the tomatoes, chili powder, sugar, cumin, chipotle paste, salt and black pepper.
- Stir to mix well and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the broth and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add the white beans, pinto beans, and black beans and cook for 15 minutes, or until the flavors are well blended.
- Stir in the corn and cilantro and cook for 2 minutes.