TOM’S FAVORITE SUMMERTIME OYSTER RECIPE
The heat from the grill steams the oysters and pops the shells open, while poaching the oyster inside. They make a great appetizer. So easy and so delicious!
- Fresh Oysters, live, In The Shell
- Hot Sauce
- Lemon Wedge
- Preheat grill. Scrub the oyster shells under cold running water with a brush.
- Place oysters (cup side on bottom) on hot grill about 4 inches from hot coals. Cover grill with lid, open any vents, and cook 6 to 8 minutes (depending on size) or until shells begin to open to indicate that they are done.
- Remove all oysters when the first one opens. Some shells will not be opened, so some prying will be necessary. Using a mitt or towel to protect your hand, remove the oysters from the grill, taking care not to spill their juices.
- Pry the oysters the rest of the way open with an oyster knife, paring knife, or screwdriver. Sever the muscle that connects the shells, leaving the oyster on the half shell.
- Transfer onto a serving platter.
- Serve with melted butter, your favorite hot sauce, and lemon wedges. Enjoy!