SMASHED POTATO GRATIN
The potatoes can be baked a day ahead. The potato skins create a wonderful crispy topping that, combined with the creamy, nutty notes of Emmi Gruyère AOP cheese, will make this dish an instant favorite.
Yield: 6-8 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes, cleaned
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 cups Whipping Cream
- 1 Bay Leaves
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 3 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 6 oz. Emmi Le Gruyère AOP Cheese, shredded
- Heat oven to 425F.
- Place potatoes on rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and
pepper. Bake 40 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Adjust oven to 400F. Butter 1 1/2- or 2-quart baking dish.
- 1 Quarter potatoes and smash into 1- to 2-inch pieces.
- In sauce pan, combine cream, bay leaf, fresh thyme, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon
pepper. Bring to simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring
frequently, 2 minutes. Remove from heat and remove bay leaf and thyme.
- In the prepared baking dish, arrange half of potato pieces in single layer, skin side down. Season
with salt and pepper. Cover with half of shredded cheese and half of cream mixture. Add
remaining potato pieces skin side up. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with remaining
cream mixture and cheese. Bake uncovered 40 minutes. Allow to cool at least 5 minutes