Silky avocado replaces the tried-and-true potato in these crispy “fries” that are an unexpected addition to your game day menu. Freezing the slices of avocado keeps them firm for frying. Tom Leonard’s Executive Chef Michael Luboff suggests serving Avocado Fries with a side of Tom Leonard’s spicy chipotle dip.
- 2 Avocados
- 3/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour, seasoned with salt & pepper
- 1 large Egg, beaten
- 1 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- Half, seed, scoop and slice the avocado lengthwise into half-inch strips. Put slices on a piece of parchment paper or on a plate and freeze.
- Remove avocados from the freezer and dust with seasoned flour.
- Heat vegetable oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat.
- Working one at a time, dip avocado slices into the egg, then dredge in the Panko crumbs, pressing to coat.
- Working in batches, add the avocado slices to the Dutch oven, 5 or 6 at a time, and fry until evenly golden brown and crispy, about 1-2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve immediately with Tom Leonard’s spicy chipotle dip.