WINTER GREENS GRATIN
- 3/4 lb. Swiss Chard
- 1/2 lb. Curly Kale
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 small Yellow Onions
- 2 tbs. Tom Leonard’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Lemon
- 6 cups Baby Spinach
- 1/2 cup Whole Milk
- 1/4 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Cheddar Gruyere Cheese, shredded
- 2 tbs. Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 tbs. Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese, grated
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Cut the Swiss chard stems and leaves crosswise into ½-inch slices, keeping them separate. Cut the kale leaves crosswise into ½-inch slices, discarding the stems. Mince the garlic. Finely dice the onion.
- In an 8-inch ovenproof sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the Swiss chard stems and cook until softening, about 5 minutes. Add the Swiss chard and kale leaves, working in batches if needed, and cook until wilted and softening, about 3 minutes. Squeeze in the lemon juice and stir to combine.
- Add the spinach and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the milk and cream and stir to warm through, about 1 minute longer. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the Gruyère, then taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Sprinkle the panko and Parmesan evenly over the top.
- Cover the gratin with foil and transfer to the oven. Bake until beginning to bubble on the sides, about 10 minutes. Uncover and bake until the bread crumbs are golden, about 10 minutes longer.